- Congressional Testimony on School Safety, House Education and Labor Joint Subcommittee Hearing on July 8, 2009
- School Safety Workshop School Board News NSBA Convention 2008
- School Safety Congressional Testimony: House Homeland Security Committee 5/17/07
- School Safety: House Education and Labor Committee 4/23/07
- School Emergency Plan Evaluations
- School Security Assessments
- School Crisis Tabletop Exercises
- Post-Crisis School Safety Support
- Emergency & School Safety Media Training
- School Bus Security & Emergency Training
- School Gang Training
- School Terrorism Training
- School Terrorism Preparedness Tips
- Proactive School Security & Crisis Training
View our School Safety Consultant Firm Video - click here
We offer school
safety consulting services performed by "school people."
WHO IS NATIONAL SCHOOL SAFETY AND SECURITY SERVICES?
National School Safety and Security Services is a private, independent school safety consulting corporation. We are independent, not product-affiliated, and not part of any "strategic alliance" affiliations, thereby making us free of outside influences and hidden agendas.
Our school safety and school emergency / crisis services are led by Ken Trump, a career school security professional with 25 years of experience in K-12 school-specific security and crisis preparedness training, assessments, and school safety consulting programs in 45 states. Our consultants have decades of school-specific safety experience, meaning that they have been in the field far before it became popular to be school safety consultants! The firm is a private, for-profit consulting firm, which we proudly acknowledge upfront --- unlike many organizations which misleadingly list themselves as non-profits, but are really little more than for-profit consultants in disguise.
Our information is based on front-line, hands-on experience from working in school districts and neighborhoods with school officials, law enforcement officers, and community members in public and private schools located in urban, suburban, and rural communities. We provide honest answers and practical solutions - not rhetorical buzzwords, "canned" programs, or generic products! See the "Our Advantage" section below to learn why we are leaders in this field.
OUR SCHOOL SAFETY PHILOSOPHY:
We believe that schools do not “create” violence and that they must work with their broader community to prevent and manage it. We recognize that potential threats to school safety can potentially originate from inside or from outside of the school. We believe that school officials should play a part in the overall solution and that there are balanced, practical risk reduction measures which can be taken to secure the school environment so that education, prevention, and intervention services can be safely delivered with a maximum level of effectiveness.
We believe that the majority of students in school are good students and that the majority of school officials want safe schools. We know that many incidents of violence often begin as smaller issues which left unattended can escalate. We base our services on the belief that by being proactive through a variety of strategies school officials can often prevent larger, more serious incidents from occurring.
We also recognize that schools are unique and individual school location, characteristics, physical plants, climate, and culture should be examined when making recommendations associated with security strategies. There are differences among public and private schools, as well as urban, suburban, and rural schools. The uniqueness of each school setting can present many strengths and challenges at the same time, and school security consultants must be extensively familiar with K-12 school dynamics.
We believe that a balanced approach of prevention, intervention, security, and crisis preparedness strategies must be combined with school climate, psychological support services, strong academic programs, extra-curricular activities, strong relationships with public safety officials, ownership and involvement of stakeholders in the school itself and its broader school community, and other related strategies in order to have a truly comprehensive safe schools program.
OUR ADVANTAGES FOR SCHOOL SAFETY (Also known as: What's In It for YOU):
National School Safety and Security Services is the nation's premier school security service provider. Unfortunately, national tragedies have generated an onslaught of "overnight experts" and "charlatans" claiming to be school security experts. Many of these individuals and organizations have never even worked in schools or with children! See our page on Selecting a School Security Consultant for more information on spotting overnight experts.
Our firm offers the following distinct advantages in serving your needs:
- School-Specific Security Experience: Our services are directed, and many are also provided, by Kenneth S. Trump, the nation's leading and only full-time school security consultant who is a veteran school security professional with 25 years of front-line, hands-on experience in school security, school emergency / crisis preparedness, and gang management as both an urban and suburban school officer, investigator, gang unit supervisor, and director, plus training and consulting experience for public and private urban, suburban, and rural schools in 45 states and in Canada since 1989! Unlike the growing list of overnight experts and charlatans attempting to exploit school districts, school security and related youth violence prevention have always been our primary business. Our lead consultants have over two decades of experience per consultant in working with school-specific safety issues.
- Urban, Suburban, and Rural Experience --- In Public and Non-Public Schools: We recognize the unique differences among urban, suburban, and rural schools and communities because we have worked in these settings. We also recognize that there are differences in public and non-public (independent, religious, etc.) schools. Our experience has covered all of these different types of settings. We do not believe that "one size fits all," so our services are tailored to consider the type of organization, community needs, and nature of security issues.
- Independent, Non-Product-Affiliated Recommendations: We are an independent, professional organization driven by the best interests and practices in our field. We are not product-affiliated, nor are we grant-funded, government operated, or a member of a "strategic alliance" affiliation where multiple companies with various backgrounds team up against school districts to offer bundled services. As such, we are free of biases, political influences, bureaucratic obligations, hidden agendas and referral motivators, and similar obstacles which can negatively influence client services. Our primary interest is the safety of youth, youth-service providers, and their communities, and the corresponding needs of our clients in creating such environments.
- Current, Focused, Cutting-Edge, and "Ahead-of-the-Learning-Curve" Information: Our extensive experience of 25 years in the school safety profession, combined with our ongoing national workload and use of technological resources, keeps us current on the latest trends and strategies in school security, crisis preparedness, and related youth violence prevention issues. This strong foundation and knowledge base, along with our national network of professional contacts, keeps us well ahead of the learning curve on school security and gang issues. We also know our limitations, so if your issues are outside of our expertise, we will refer you to the appropriate experts and, when appropriate, collaborate with them to meet your needs.
- We Not Only Study It, We Live It & Study It: Research, theories, and in-depth studies contribute to our knowledge of school security, crisis preparedness, gangs, and related youth violence prevention. It is important to stay abreast of such developments in the professional field. And at National School Safety and Security Services, we not only research and study the subjects we specialize in --- we live it! Our years of front-line, school-specific experience in dealing with hands-on school security and crisis preparedness issues allows us to provide practical, realistic information and recommendations to our clients that they can put to use in everyday situations.
- We Are Who We Are - And We're Proud Of It! National School Safety and Security Services is a national consulting firm specializing in school security, crisis preparedness, and related youth violence prevention issues. We provide professional services on a contracted basis to schools, youth-service providers, and other clients. Our services are provided at reasonable rates (comparable to, and often less than, other educational consultants) to provide services tailored to the individual needs and concerns of our clients in reducing risks and improving safety conditions. We do not disguise our consulting business as a non-profit organization, research "institute" or "center", or under otherwise misleading titles which make us appear to be something we are not. We are "up-front" about who we are, we are proud of what we do and how we do it, and we are especially proud of our accomplishments and client satisfaction!
OUR SCHOOL SAFETY CONSULTING SERVICES:
See our School Safety
Consulting Services page for a detailed listing of how we help keep schools safe through school safety and emergency preparedness assessments and evaluations, professional development training, tabletop exercises, and other school safety management consultation.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON SCHOOL SAFETY CONSULTANTS!
We challenge you to compare our qualifications to others claiming to be school security experts. Have they worked in schools for their primary career? Does their experience reflect more "job-hopping" and "resume building" than consistent, K-12 school-specific experience? Is their experience specifically in school security or have they been in completely different positions and now turned into security "experts"? Do they have experience at all levels (building level, district level, administrative levels, community-involvement levels, urban-suburban-rural levels, etc.) of school security? Is this a part-time, post-retirement, secondary side-money, or hobby income ---or has this been, and is this still, their primary, full-time professional career field? Do they "do it" or just study it, read a few articles about it and listen to others at conferences, and then charge you for "canned" programs or recommendations?
Finding the answers and checking into our client feedback will prove that National School Safety and Security Services is indeed the nation's premier provider of school security services!